Beef and Veggie Stir-Fry
Servings: 6 〉〉 Serving size: ¾
You will need
- 1 pound boneless round steak
- 1 ½ cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 to 5 carrots, sliced diagonally
- ½ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 small bunch fresh broccoli crowns, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Hot cooked rice
- Boneless round steak
- Reduced sodium beef broth
- Vegetable oil
- Reduced sodium soy sauce
- Fresh broccoli crowns
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 200
- Total Fat 10g
- Saturated Fat 2.5g
- Cholesterol 45mg
- Sodium 940mg
- Total Carbohydrates 9g
- Dietary Fiber 2
- Sugars 4g
- Protein 19g
What to do
- Partially freeze steak; slice across the grain into 3-by-¼-inch strips. Marinate for 1 hour in refrigerator in beef broth.
- Heat oil in large skillet, coating sides. Continue to heat on medium-high for a minute.
- Remove steak from marinade. Save marinade for step 6. Add steak to pan and stir-fry until browned.
- Add carrots and soy sauce. Cook 5-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add broccoli and cook until crisp-tender, stirring often.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, sugar and beef broth (marinade), mixing well; add to meat mixture in skillet.
- Stir constantly until mixture is thickened and hot and bubbling.
- Cook rice according to package directions. Serve over rice.
Be food safe
- Avoid cross-contamination after preparing raw meat by washing all surfaces with hot water and soap before working with raw vegetables.
- Cut meat into small pieces to cook thoroughly.
- Refrigerate leftovers within two hours of eating.
- Place steak in freezer for 30-60 minutes for easier slicing. Cut across the grain through tough muscle fibers, which makes it more tender.
- Make sure vegetables and meats are cut into bite-sized pieces. Stir-fry uses high heat, so pieces must be small enough to cook through without burning.
- If skillet is full of meat and vegetables, first stir-fry meat completely, add back at end.
- Use reduced-sodium soy sauce.