Create Your Own Casserole
You will need
Choose one from each of the following categories:
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, broccoli or green beans, thawed and drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can green beans, peas, corn or carrots, drained
- 1½ cups sliced zucchini or yellow squash
- 2 to 3 cups cooked pasta (macaroni, penne, bow tie, spiral, etc.)
- 2-3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups cooked ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 cups cooked and diced chicken, turkey, beef or pork
- 1 (12-15 ounce) can tuna or salmon, drained
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans or black beans
- 1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 can reduced sodium condensed soup (cream of celery, cream of mushroom, tomato soup, etc.) mixed with milk to make 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup reduced fat shredded cheese
- ¼ cup bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup crushed cornflakes cereal
For extra flavor, add one or more of the following to any casserole mixture:
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried herbs (basil, thyme, marjoram, tarragon)
What to do
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Choose one ingredient from each column on chart.
- Mix all ingredients except topping.
- Spray casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and pour mixture into casserole dish.
- Cover casserole with oven-safe lid or aluminum foil and bake for about 50 minutes or until bubbly.
- Remove casserole from oven. If desired, add topping to casserole and return to oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.