Easy Fruit Salad
Servings: 14 〉〉 Serving size: ½ cup
You will need
- 1 (16-ounce) can fruit cocktail, packed in 100 percent juice or water, drained
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large apples, chopped
- 8 ounces low-fat yogurt, any flavor
- Canned fruit cocktail packed in 100 percent juice or water
- Low-fat yogurt, any flavor
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 70
- Total Fat 0
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 10mg
- Total Carbohydrates 17g
- Dietary Fiber 2g
- Sugars 1g
- Protein 1g
What to do
- Mix fruit in large bowl.
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Eat healthy on a budget
- Any fruits can be used, but be sure to include oranges and bananas, which are good sources of folate. Folate helps form a healthy spine and brain in a developing baby.
- When buying canned fruit, choose fruit packed in water or 100 percent fruit juice instead of light or heavy syrup, which adds sugar and extra calories.
- Fresh or frozen fruit without added sugars can be purchased using WIC cash value vouchers (CVV).
- Buy fresh fruits in season when are usually cheaper and taste better.
- Try store brands of yogurt, which are usually cheaper and taste the same as name brands.
- Fruit salad also makes a healthy dessert for any meal.
Be food safe
- Wash hands, utensils and surfaces before and after preparing food.
- Rinse fresh fruit thoroughly under cool running water. Rinse even if the skins of the fruit will not be eaten.
- Avoid buying fresh fruits that have scrapes or bruises. Any breaks in the skin of the fruit allow bacteria to get inside.