Easy Fruit Salad
Servings: 14 〉〉 Serving size: ½ cup
You will need
- 1 (16-ounce) can fruit cocktail, packed in 100 percent juice or water, drained
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large apples, chopped
- 8 ounces low-fat yogurt, any flavor
- Canned fruit cocktail packed in 100 percent juice or water
- Low-fat yogurt, any flavor
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 70
- Total Fat 0
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 10mg
- Total Carbohydrates 17g
- Dietary Fiber 2g
- Sugars 1g
- Protein 1g
What to do
- Mix fruit in large bowl.
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Eat healthy on a budget
- Any fruits can be used, but be sure to include oranges and bananas, which are good sources of folate. Folate helps form a healthy spine and brain in a developing baby.
- When buying canned fruit, choose fruit packed in water or 100 percent fruit juice instead of light or heavy syrup, which adds sugar and extra calories.
- Fresh or frozen fruit without added sugars can be purchased using WIC cash value vouchers (CVV).
- Buy fresh fruits in season when are usually cheaper and taste better.
- Try store brands of yogurt, which are usually cheaper and taste the same as name brands.
- Fruit salad also makes a healthy dessert for any meal.
Be food safe
- Wash hands, utensils and surfaces before and after preparing food.
- Rinse fresh fruit thoroughly under cool running water. Rinse even if the skins of the fruit will not be eaten.
- Avoid buying fresh fruits that have scrapes or bruises. Any breaks in the skin of the fruit allow bacteria to get inside.
Was this post helpful?
Let us know if you liked the post. That’s the only way we can improve.