You will need
- Choose a protein: 1-pound cut into bite-sized pieces (beef, pork, chicken, seafood or tofu)
- Choose vegetables: 3-4 cups, cut into bite-sized pieces (bean sprouts, snow peas, cabbage, carrots, eggplant, celery, green beans, mushrooms, asparagus, bell peppers, pineapple, green onions, snow peas, zucchini, yellow squash, canned water chestnuts, baby corn)
- Choose an oil: 3 tablespoons (peanut or vegetable oil)
- Add seasonings (use all seasonings)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger (can substitute ½ teaspoon ground ginger)
- Choose a flavoring sauce
- Sweet and Sour. Mix ¼ cup chicken broth, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons cider or balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, ½ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- Mix ¼ cup lemon juice plus 1 teaspoon lemon zest, ¼ cup chicken broth, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoons sugar
- Basil or Cilantro. Mix ¼ cup chicken broth, ¼ cup soy sauce, 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon sugar, ¼ cup shredded fresh basil leaves or ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro.
- Soy Sesame. Mix ¼ cup chicken broth, ¼ cup soy sauce, 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Make thickening sauce: 2 tablespoons chicken broth mixed with 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Beef, pork, chicken, seafood or tofu
- Vegetables: any mixture of bean sprouts, snow peas, cabbage, carrots, eggplant, celery, green beans, mushrooms, asparagus, bell peppers, pineapple, green onions, zucchini, yellow squash, canned water chestnuts, baby corn
- Peanut or vegetable oil
- Assorted seasonings
- Soy sauce
- Dry sherry (optional)
- Minced garlic
- Minced or ground ginger
- Chicken broth
- Cider, balsamic or wine vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- Lemon zest
- Basil leaves or cilantro
- Sesame oil
What to do
- Set 11- or 12-inch heavy skillet over low heat.
- Toss selected meat with soy sauce and sherry; prepare onion and other stir-fry vegetables.
- Mince garlic and ginger.
- Mix flavoring sauce.
- Mix cornstarch and chicken broth.
- Increase heat to high and turn on exhaust fan 3-4 minutes before you start cooking.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil to coat pan and stir-fry selected protein. Cook in two batches. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons to skillet and stir-fry onion for 1 minute.
- Add ginger, garlic and other vegetables, staggering additions.
- Return cooked protein to skillet.
- Stir in flavorings, then cornstarch mixture.
- Add two more tablespoons of chicken stock, if needed.
- Serve immediately.
Was this post helpful?
Let us know if you liked the post. That’s the only way we can improve.