Servings: 6 〉〉 Serving size: ½ cup
You will need
- 6 tablespoons flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-ounce) can sliced beets
- 1½ cups beet liquid (beet liquid from can plus water to equal 1½ cups)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- Canned sliced beets
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 120
- Total Fat 3g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 430mg
- Total Carbohydrates 23g
- Dietary Fiber 1g
- Sugars 16g
- Protein 1g
What to do
- Mix flour, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in beet liquid, vinegar and butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened; add beets and heat.
- Let stand for 10 minutes to blend flavors.
Be food safe
- Do not buy canned food that is rusted, punctured or dented at the seams. There may be small, invisible holes that would allow bacteria to enter.
- Commercially canned foods can be stored for about two years. Storing cans longer causes loss of quality.
- Never use cans that are leaking, bulging or have a foul odor when opened. These are signs of C. botulinum toxin (botulism), which can be deadly.