Steam-Sauté Tender Greens
You will need
- 1 tablespoon fat (extra-virgin olive oil, vegetable oil or butter)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, beet greens, stemmed and rinsed, or Swiss chard
- Ground black pepper
- Spices and/or dried herbs
- Flavorings (optional)
What to do
NOTE: Tender greens are moist, so no need to add water for steaming.
- Combine fat, salt, garlic, prepared greens, spices or dried herbs in large deep skillet or Dutch oven.
- Cover and steam over medium-high heat about 5 minutes until greens are wilted and brightly colored.
- Remove lid and continue to cook until liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes longer.
- Add optional fresh herbs or other flavorings.
- Adjust seasonings, including pepper to taste.
Optional flavor variations to add after liquid has evaporated
- Balsamic vinegar: 1 tablespoon
- Nutmeg: ¼ teaspoon grated
- Lemon: 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Raisins and almonds: ¼ cup golden raisins and 3 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds*
*If almonds are not already toasted, toast over medium heat in dry skillet.