Steam-Sauté Tender Greens
You will need
- 1 tablespoon fat (extra-virgin olive oil, vegetable oil or butter)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, beet greens, stemmed and rinsed, or Swiss chard
- Ground black pepper
- Spices and/or dried herbs
- Flavorings (optional)
What to do
NOTE: Tender greens are moist, so no need to add water for steaming.
- Combine fat, salt, garlic, prepared greens, spices or dried herbs in large deep skillet or Dutch oven.
- Cover and steam over medium-high heat about 5 minutes until greens are wilted and brightly colored.
- Remove lid and continue to cook until liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes longer.
- Add optional fresh herbs or other flavorings.
- Adjust seasonings, including pepper to taste.
Optional flavor variations to add after liquid has evaporated
- Balsamic vinegar: 1 tablespoon
- Nutmeg: ¼ teaspoon grated
- Lemon: 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Raisins and almonds: ¼ cup golden raisins and 3 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds*
*If almonds are not already toasted, toast over medium heat in dry skillet.
Was this post helpful?
Let us know if you liked the post. That’s the only way we can improve.